This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

My SmartClient Project is drawing to an end

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2008 at 2:55 AM
Edited Jun 22, 2008 at 10:16 AM
It looks the SmartClient project I'm working on now is drawing to a close.
So I will probably be committing less to the Extension.Kit from now on - as I will be fairly busy on other (non-C# ) projects.

I don't think I'll be getting updates from DevExpress either, so I'll have to leave the version at 8.1.
DevExpress v8.3 definitely breaks our XtraWindowWorkspaces, so I could never install that anyway. I've yet to provide DevExpress with a sample project to demonstrate the issue, but I probably will.
Jun 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM
So you mean that the development of this project comes to an end? This is very serious i can say. What is the problem? Incuding me others are working on CAB with devexpress controls and now i feel like i am lost. Is there something that we us customers of DevExpress can do?
Jun 24, 2008 at 6:08 AM
Edited Jun 24, 2008 at 6:09 AM

PandaWood wrote:
It looks the SmartClient project I'm working on now is drawing to a close.
So I will probably be committing less to the Extension.Kit from now on - as I will be fairly busy on other (non-C# ) projects.

I don't think I'll be getting updates from DevExpress either, so I'll have to leave the version at 8.1.
DevExpress v8.3 definitely breaks our XtraWindowWorkspaces, so I could never install that anyway. I've yet to provide DevExpress with a sample project to demonstrate the issue, but I probably will.

So this means that your CAB project with DX is success? No doubts about performance? It would be very lifting for me. I am at CAB and Dx project start and it seems very difficult even for experienced programmer as me.

I suppose you mean 8.1.3, not 8.3. 8.3 is not released yet. Can you explain me, what is broken in XtraWindowWorkspaces? I can create sample fox Dx support. I need to use ExtensionKit with latest Dx, there is many bugfixes in the latest version which I need.
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2008 at 5:30 AM
Edited Jun 25, 2008 at 10:43 AM
Hi infoCenter,

There's no problem, it just means that I've been pulled off this particular project and onto another one. We have new IT management who have said "Going forward... Web Applications, not SmartClient" - so my next project will be something webby.

The SmartClient application (with 2 main modules) that our team developed, has gone LIVE and will be in production for another 5 years or so.

You won't be lost, as there's not much else to do on the ExtensionKit once the main controls have been wrapped up.
This CodePlex project will continue. I'll still be tinkering around - and the project will stay open and anyone else can join. DevLynx has already made several useful contributions and blogged about them.

infoCENTER wrote:
So you mean that the development of this project comes to an end? This is very serious i can say. What is the problem? Incuding me others are working on CAB with devexpress controls and now i feel like i am lost. Is there something that we us customers of DevExpress can do?

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2008 at 5:33 AM
Edited Jun 25, 2008 at 10:45 AM
Yes, I must mean v8.1.3.

Our SmartClient project was a success. Whatever few milliseconds CAB took away from us, have never been noticed.

The way our XtraWindowWorkspaces are broken with v8.1.3 may not affect everyone. I think it's just because I've docked a LayoutControl in the XtraUserControl and at runtime, the LayoutControl is failing to Dock.
If you're not using LayoutControl in your XtraUserControl (ie SmartPart) you might not see the issue.
It hits us, square in the face, as of 8.1.3. Though I never installed 8.1.2, so it could be there too.

karelkral wrote:
So this means that your CAB project with DX is success? No doubts about performance? It would be very lifting for me. I am at CAB and Dx project start and it seems very difficult even for experienced programmer as me.

I suppose you mean 8.1.3, not 8.3. 8.3 is not released yet. Can you explain me, what is broken in XtraWindowWorkspaces? I can create sample fox Dx support.

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2008 at 2:03 AM
I have a few more contributions planned as well but not quite ready to release. There will be people around to keep the project going.

I'm sorry that PandaWood will be moving on to another project but that is the reality of our profession.

DevLynx
Jun 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM
Edited Jun 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM
I use the Extension Kit on a freeware tool I wrote (www.BibleMaximum.com ) and it works great on version 8.1.3. I have thousands of users. Almost all happy.

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:05 AM
But as Pandawood says, the problem occurs only under specific circuitstances. Are you using LayoutControl in this way?

> The way our XtraWindowWorkspaces are broken with v8.1.3 may not affect everyone. I think it's just because I've docked a LayoutControl in the XtraUserControl and at runtime, the
> LayoutControl is failing to Dock.

IanVink wrote:
I use the Extension Kit on a freeware tool I wrote (www.BibleMaximum.com ) and it works great on version 8.1.3. I have thousands of users. Almost all happy.