This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Migrate ExtensionKit to SCSF

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM
Hi, have you been able to look into migrating the ExtensionKit towards SCSF? I would be very keen to take advantage of some of the SCSF benefits, in conjunction with the ExtensionKit. Migration to SCSF will be greatly appreciated (as is all your efforts so far) - please give us an indication as to whether this is in the pipeline, and keep up the good work!
Jan 6, 2009 at 5:51 PM
I also would like to use the ExtensionKit with SCSF. I am currently creating a SCSF application with Infragisitcs controls but would like to move to DevExpress controls.
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:05 AM
I am unaware of any plans to extend CAB DevExpress Extension Kit with SCSF funcationality. I looked into creating an SCSF recipe a year or so ago but it just didn't look worth the effort for my needs. However, if you would like to contribute and maintain some recipes I'm sure we could find a way to add them to the Extension Kit.

DevLynx
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM
As I said in my previous post, I would like to move to DevExpress controls for the current SCSF application I am developing. Can't I just re-create the views with DX controls (copy the required workspace and extension site files) and it would work fine?

Thanks
Coordinator
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:02 AM
Yes, recreating the views and shell form with DX controls will probably work fine for you.

DevLynx
Jan 8, 2009 at 9:36 AM
PolarBear2k, please let us know how you get on, and share with us the steps you took to make it work, thanks.
Jan 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM
So I managed to modify the stock SCSF application to use the ExtensionKit. It was fairly simple (see changes below), but I have not used the DockManagerWorkspace at all. The docking functionality is not important to me so I'm working with the stock DeckWorkspace in my design. When creating new modules you just have to remember that the Views need to inherit from XtraUserControl not UserControl.

ShellApplication.cs (Infrastructure.Shell)
Add    using DevExpress.XtraEditors; (Add reference to DevExpress.Utils.vX.X)
Change    MessageBox
          to
          XtraMessageBox

ShellForm.cs (Infrastructure.Shell)
Add       using DevExpress.XtraEditors;
Change    public partial class ShellForm : Form
          to
          public partial class ShellForm : XtraForm

ShellLayoutView.cs (Infrastructure.Layout - If seperate layout module)
Add       using DevExpress.XtraEditors; (Add reference to DevExpress.Utils.vX.X)
Change    public partial class ShellLayoutView : UserControl
          to
          public partial class ShellLayoutView : XtraUserControl

Delete main menu bar, status bar and splitter.
Add    Bar Manager (creates menu bar, tool bar and status bar).
Add    New static bar item for status bar.
Add    using DevExpress.XtraBars;
Add    Properties that return MenuBar and StatusBar, and optionally for returning the BarManager.
Remove    The old menu and status strip properties.
Change    Code for setting status bar caption for the static bar item. (barStaticItem1.Caption = text)

SmartClientApplication.cs (Infrastructure.Library)
Add    using CABDevExpress; (Add reference to Extension Kit)
Change    public abstract class SmartClientApplication<TWorkItem, TShell> : FormShellApplication<TWorkItem, TShell>
          to
          public abstract class SmartClientApplication<TWorkItem, TShell> : XtraFormApplication<TWorkItem, TShell>
Jan 17, 2009 at 12:39 AM
Thanks a lot PolarBear2k, that is indeed promising. I am very much interested in the RibbonForm implementation, do you think the existing RibbonForm implementation for CAB in the kit can be lifted/ported to SCSF without issues?

I read some post elsewhere at some point, which suggested there may be some issues. Don't really have the time at present to investigate this fully, being fairly new to the kit as well as SCSF. Any further help (from one and all) to eventually have the kit successfully ported to SCSF would be greatly appreciated.
Jan 17, 2009 at 12:45 AM
For clarity, what I am looking for is a CABDevExpress RibbonForm implementation for the various workspaces retrofitted within the SCSF framework (as opposed to vanilla CAB), and not much concerned with additional functionality or recipes.
Feb 2, 2009 at 10:23 PM
Due to DevLynx's previous sterling efforts on CAB, and following PolarBear2K's pointers above, half a day's effort saw me porting the RibbonForm flavour successfully to SCSF. A lot of minor discrepancies between the two (CAB & SCSF) implementations had to be tackled, but all-in-all it was a pain-free experience. I was certainly pleasantly surprised, as I was expecting more major hiccups along the way. Indeed the SCSF refactoring process has been well-managed to help minimise such pain.
Mar 8, 2009 at 3:51 PM
Hello
I too followed the instructions here and found it easy to convert a SCSF generated project to use DevExpress controls.
Since then I have gone on to modify the Guildance Package itself to generate a SCSF project using DevExpress controls.

I was just wondering if that is of any interest to others here  and I should make it available.

Cheers
John

Coordinator
Mar 8, 2009 at 11:03 PM
Oh That is really cool. Yes, please,  I would love to try that.
Thanks John.